Internships provide real world experience to those looking to explore or gain the relevant knowledge and skills required to enter into a particular career field. Internships are relatively short term in nature with the primary focus on getting some on the job training and taking what’s learned in the classroom and applying it to the real world. Interns generally have a supervisor who assigns specific tasks and evaluates the interns overall work. Internships exist in a wide variety of industries and settings. An internship may be paid, unpaid or partially paid (in the form of a stipend).
Benefits of doing an Internship:
- Learn about a career field from the inside and decide if this is the right career field for you.
- Work alongside a professional in your chosen career area.
- Observe the work place and see if it matches expectations.
Leadership and skill development
- Learn new skills and add to your knowledge base while gaining confidence in your abilities.
- Opportunity to practice communication and teamwork skills.
- Gain industry knowledge first hand from an organization and professionals.
- Provide evidence that you have initiative are reliable and have a sense of responsibility.
- Apply some of the ideas learned in college and provide a bridge between college and the professional world.
- Achieve a sense of accomplishment by contributing to an organization